Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Washington post Sued by Family of Covington Teenager

There’s an interesting thing about this story. Does he have a chance of winning? Who knows?
The 250 mil dollars in damages didn’t really specify what type of damages they’re seeking. Basically that figure was arrived because that's what Jeff Bezos paid for the Washington post, it seems a little dubious to me. The other thing interesting was that the lawyers are making the case that the WP acted with actual malice. But is Nicholas sandman a public figure? I’m my Com Law class, we’ve been learning about Actual Malice and what it takes legally to be able to sue someone for libel. Nicholas wasn't a public figure before this happened so he shouldn’t go as such. Just because a person is news worthy shouldn’t change your status from private to public.

The legal team said they are aiming to sue multiple outlets like CNN, etc because it was republished on those outlets. Are all the outlets guilty because they aired the video? I don’t think they’re in the right to sue all these media platforms, they’re just doing their job by reporting current events.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Class Wrap Up (Week 16)

My experience with the blog posts was interesting. It was a new way to help me memorize what we did in class as well as present my opinion ...